Israel and Palestine
This page lists my academic and opinion papers on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Other informal postings are on my blog.
anarchist leanings magnify my suspicion about any movement seeking a
nation state, but my primary interest is ending injustice. Despite
inevitable complexity, supporting Palestinian efforts to end Israeli
oppression is the priority. I long ago reached the conclusion that
Zionist efforts to create a state that's both Jewish and democratic
cannot succeed. I remain concerned about the people I know, and know
about, on both sides of the line.
high school I spent 1966-67 in Israel on a program organized by the
Zionist youth group Young Judaea. In 1972 I returned to Israel with a
group I co-founded that planned to build a new kibbutz. Four months
later I left Israel. Except for a few newspaper columns critical of
Israel after the 1982 Sabra and Shatila massacres, I avoided the topic
for many years, no longer a Zionist but not yet taking the next step.
In 2001 I returned to the issue. I have since visited Israel and the West Bank three times:
Some of the books on the subject I've recently read.
- This Week in Palestine with Sherif Fam, WZBC-Boston: Gaza (November, 2008) [Audiotape - begins at 15:11]
- War Forum with Rebecca Love. Brookline Access TV, Brookline, Massachusetts (6/18/03)
- Censored History with Bonnie Perkins, KPFZ 104.5 FM Community Radio, Lake County, California (1/4/03)
Repression: The issue that started me on this topic again
Generating discussion in Brookline, Massachusetts
Anti-Semitism and other issues the peace/justice left should address
- Jean Feraca Show, Wisconsin Public Radio: Israel/Palestine and the Left (6/6/02)
- Chuck Morse Conservative Radio WROL-AM 950 Boston (5/3/02)
Years of Avoidance....
Israel/Palestine Links - Israel/Palestine Photos